Recently I was given the opportunity to collect an organic seasonal vegetable basket because someone I know was away on holiday. I came home with courgettes (zucchini), tomatoes, beans, a bell pepper, onions, lettuces, mini cucumbers, basil, a kohlrabi and a swede. What an abundance of choice at this time of year!
The end of summer is slowly approaching and we have a lot of choice. However, I enjoy simple meals at a time of the year that can be quite hectic.
Let me share with you a recipe for a soup using a vegetable that abounds during this period – the courgette (zucchini). Eaten with one (or two) sprouted bread(s) you can have quick nourishing and satisfying meal.
For two people you need
2 medium courgettes/ zucchini
2 tablespoons ghee/coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
1. Wash the courgettes and cut them into slices.
2. Heat the oil/ghee in a pot. When hot add the cumin and fennel seeds and sauté until brown.
4. Add the turmeric powder and black pepper and stir well.
5. Add the courgettes.
6. Add 1 teaspoon of coriander powder and salt to taste.
7. Add enough water to cover the courgettes, cover and leave them to simmer for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes pour the contents of the pan carefully into a blender and blend for 10-20 seconds.
9. Serve with some fresh parsley sprinkled on top and with flat bread or a sprouted bread.